Title: High School Science – Physical Science preferred (Physics and/or Chemistry)
Briarwood Christian School is currently accepting resumes and cover letters from qualified candidates for the position of High School Science Teacher, preferably for Physical Science (Physics and/or Chemistry). The ability to provide leadership in extra-curricular programs such as Athletics, the Arts, Student Government, etc., is highly desirable in qualified candidates.
(We are currently seeking to fill the following coaching positions: Women’s Varsity Basketball Assistant Coach, Women’s Varsity Volleyball Assistant Coach, Varsity Track Assistant Coach, and Head Golf Coach.)
- Must be mature evangelical Christians who agree with the school’s Statement of Faith and whose lifestyle is consistent with the school’s Declaration of Moral Integrity.
- Must be a member in good standing of a local evangelical church.
- Must be able to articulate a deep understanding of a biblically informed philosophy of Christian education.
- Must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have a minimum of an earned Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in Science preferably in Secondary Science Education; Master’s degree is desired.
- Should have demonstrated experience in working effectively on teams of Christian professionals in meeting high academic and spiritual standards and goals.
- Able to provide Science instruction from a biblical world and life view.
- Able to encourage and inspire students to live redemptively today and with an eternal perspective.
Scope of Responsibilities:
Teachers hired by Briarwood Christian School are required:
- To teach, supervise, direct, and evaluate students in grade(s) and subject(s) as defined by the administration in a manner consistent with a Christian education, the generally accepted standards of the teaching profession, and biblical standards of conduct and lifestyle.
- To model and promote excellence in academic instruction, learning, and deportment.
- To provide Biblically integrated instruction consistent with the school Statement of Faith and Statement of Educational Philosophy.
- To actively engage in student discipleship.
- To support, encourage and promote a healthy and robust student life culture.
- To provide science instruction that demonstrates a clear connection between faith and science, revealing the intersection of scientific discovery and biblical principles.
- To model a Christ-like lifestyle consistent with biblical principles of conduct.
- To maintain a classroom environment conducive to learning.
- To maintain parental contact.
- To supervise students to insure their safety in all activities.
- To maintain records promptly and accurately.
- To comply with and promote school policy.
- To participate in professional growth programs and maintain appropriate teaching credentials.
- To communicate student progress to parents in a timely and accurate manner and as directed by the administration.
Spiritual and Lifestyle Requirements:
Briarwood Christian employees are to conduct themselves in private and in public consistent with the doctrinal and lifestyle standards of Briarwood Presbyterian Church, Briarwood Christian School and as stated in church and school contracts, agreements, and handbooks and manuals.
Briarwood Christian School is a Christian ministry of Briarwood Presbyterian Church representing Jesus Christ throughout the local community. As a ministry of Briarwood Presbyterian Church, BCS employees are called to minister to students and parents. Because every subject is integrated with biblical truth, there is no secular/sacred division in the work that teachers and school staff perform. Consequently, Briarwood Christian School requires its employees to be born-again Christians who live their lives as Christian role models and to integrate biblical truth in everything they teach and do. Employees will conduct themselves in a way that will not raise questions regarding their Christian testimonies. A Christian lifestyle should reflect the biblical perspective of integrity and of appropriate personal and family relationships, business conduct, and moral behavior. An employee is expected to demonstrate a teachable spirit, an ability to share love for others, and a willingness to live contentedly under authority.
Briarwood Christian School expects all of its employees and volunteers to model the same Christian values and lifestyle that it seeks to inculcate in its students. Employees must be able to declare (a) that they have not engaged in, (b) that they are not engaging in, (c) that they will not engage in, and d) that they will not condone or advocate in personal, teaching or professional standards during the term of their employment or volunteering: any marriage relationship, civil union, or other union replicating marriage, other than between one man and one woman, or inappropriate sexual conduct. Inappropriate conduct includes, but is not limited to, such behaviors as the following: heterosexual activity outside of marriage (e.g., premarital sex, cohabitation, extramarital sex), homosexual, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, questioning (one’s gender or sexual orientation), other aberrant sexual activity or other sexual misconduct, sexual harassment, use or viewing of pornographic material or websites, and sexual abuse or improprieties toward minors as defined by Scripture and federal or state law. They must understand and agree that this position is firmly rooted in the inerrant and infallible Word of God as expressed in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. Example applicable verses include but are not limited to Hebrews 13:4; Luke 6:40; Romans 1:21–27; Romans 10:9–10; I Timothy 4:12, and 1 Corinthians 6:9–20.